A unique collaboration between ceramists and an active Arts & Crafts working history museum, the apprenticeship program of the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works is offered twice yearly with each session limited to three participants. Apprentices work 24 hrs per week in exchange for an hourly wage. Participants learn various forming and reproduction techniques including tile/mosaic making, moldwork, glaze application, sagger firing for controlled smoking of clay, and concrete installation.
Apprentices have an opportunity to produce works using the standard materials and tools of the pottery. They are exposed to a turn of the century knowledge based on the Arts & Crafts philosophy and aesthetics adhered to by the Moravian Pottery & Tile Works. It is hoped that these factors influence the artwork produced by the apprentices.
Apprentices are provided with limited studio space in the Pottery, which is accessible to them between the hours of 5 a.m. and midnight, seven days a week. In addition, they receive free materials, use of tools, technical advice, and biweekly pay based on the work produced under the Pottery's direction.
Application Guidelines and Dates
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about the apprenticeship
Applicants for the apprenticeship are required to submit the following:
- Ten clearly labeled digital images of recent work . Please include image list
- Cover letter detailing the sort of interchange desired from the experience and why the Moravian Pottery & Tile Works is appropriate to your needs
- Two letters of recommendation
- Applications must be postmarked by the deadline date appropriate for the given session . CD's will not be returned unless self -addressed stamped envelope is enclosed.
You may submit the application in digital format via email to Adam Zayas, Head Ceramist at email@example.com Recommendations are to be sent directly from the recommender either via post or email with complete contact information.
- Summer 2017 June 5- Aug 12 Deadline -Mon April 03, 2017
- Autumn 2017 Sept 5- Nov 11 Deadline-Tues July 03, 2017
Completed applications should be mailed to: Apprentice Program, Moravian Pottery & Tile Works, Doylestown, PA 18901