Weekly Job Requisitions
< Back to Job Requisitions
DEPARTMENT: Department of Corrections
JOB CODE: 346
SUMMARY: General duty corrections work maintaining security and discipline in the Bucks County Correctional System on an assigned shift. Work includes responsibility for supervising offenders at a work location, in housing units, transporting to and from outside appointments and between institutions and in the performance of general tasks as required. Work is performed under the supervision of higher-level corrections personnel. Work involves regular exposure to unpredictable conditions and occasionally requires the expenditure of physical effort in restraining and subduing offenders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Patrols an assigned area of any of the four correctional institutions; supervises offenders in housing units; and observes offenders to detect or prevent disturbances.
- Escorts offenders throughout the institution; assists in maintaining order in recreation areas; enforces institution rules; and oversees the work of offenders in routine cleaning and laboring operations.
- Stands watch to prevent escapes and to regulate the admission of visitors to the institution.
- Operates security control centers, regulates movement of individuals between areas of the prison/community corrections; maintains telephone, public address and electronic communications; and maintains current records of offender population and their whereabouts.
- May operate automotive equipment in transporting offenders and patrolling prison perimeter.
- Ability to react to change productively and to handle other tasks as assigned.
- Daily contact with incarcerated individuals and employees; meet and deal professionally with visitors and volunteers.
- May be required to perform additional work that follows prescribed or well-established procedures that can be learned within a reasonable time by training on the job. More detailed instructions, as to the nature of the duties, will be given to employees at the beginning of work.
- Occasionally requires physically restraining and subduing offenders.
- Ability to adapt to changing technological innovations.
- Ability to work forced overtime with little or no notice.
- Ability to learn the attitudes and group habits of offenders in custody.
- Ability to learn and enforce, with firmness and impartiality, a wide variety of correctional institution rules, regulations and disciplinary measures.
- Ability and willingness to carry out detailed orders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with offenders and associates.
- Ability to act quickly and calmly in an emergency.
- Ability to read orders and instructions.
- Ability to write understandable and readable reports.
- This position carries a one year probation period.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Must pass a pre-employment physical fitness test. Check www.buckscounty.org website for details on test.
- Keyboard skill of 20 WPM effective
- Basic skills for computer and mouse
- Requires a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license prior to appointment and during tenure as a Corrections Officer.
- Ability to perform duties while "locked" inside a correctional facility in direct contact with incarcerated offenders.
- Must successfully complete the Department of Corrections' Basic Training class.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This is a non-smoking work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Human Resources - Bucks County Courthouse
50 North Main Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Government Service Center - Lower Bucks County
7321 New Falls Road
Levittown, PA 19055
Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Government Service Center - Upper Bucks County
261 California Road
Quakertown, PA 18951
Thursday 8: 30 a.m. to 4:30 pm